Friends of the Richelieu. A river. A passion.



"Tout cedit pays est fort uny, remply de forests, vignes & noyers. Aucuns Chrestiens n'estoient encores parvenus jusques en cedit lieu, que nous, qui eusmes assez de peine à monter le riviere à la rame. " Samuel de Champlain


"All this region is very level and full of forests, vines and butternut trees. No Christian has ever visited this land and we had all the misery of the world trying to paddle the river upstream." Samuel de Champlain

Saturday, March 7, 2015

It's just not enough...


You wanted to go to the magazine store. I drove you to the magazine store, left you at the door and parked the car. Paid the parking meter. Walked back. You had an armful of magazines and paperbacks. I went around the store with you.

You never asked me if I was going to buy anything. You never asked me why I wasn't buying anything. You never offered to buy me something to read.

You bought for more than $70 of reading material and I drove you home. You thanked me, though. Maybe I should be content with that. But I'm not.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe you think your alcoholism is something between you and your bottle, and is nobody else's business, but it's not. The decisions you made changed everything for "us". So now there is very little of "us" left.

    You feel sorry for yourself, and want other people's sympathy, but this is something you did to yourself, and it's up to you to work it out, not up to us to make life easier for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The caring, and the pampering, and the empathy, and the watching over, and the attentiveness, and the protectiveness, the camaderie are all one way now. Where and how will I get mine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you call me, you ask me how I am. Force of habit, really. You never say you miss me. You never say you love me. You never say you miss being home with me. Right away, you tell me why you called: it is always for something you want me to bring you. Something from home, or from a store. And that is it. No small talk, no other kind of talk either. Just bring me this next time you come and see me, and goodbye. Sometimes, we haven't talked for almost a week, and it is just like we just spoke a few minutes ago.

    ReplyDelete