Friends of the Richelieu. A river. A passion.



"Tout cedit pays est fort uny, remply de forests, vignes & noyers. Aucuns Chrestiens n'estoient encores parvenus jusques en cedit lieu, que nous, qui eusmes assez de peine à monter le riviere à la rame. " Samuel de Champlain


"All this region is very level and full of forests, vines and butternut trees. No Christian has ever visited this land and we had all the misery of the world trying to paddle the river upstream." Samuel de Champlain

Monday, August 3, 2015

Baby raccoon, what can I do?


Terrible high-pitched cries made me look around my property just in time to see a baby raccoon, barely 10 inches long, come out from under the garden shed. It seems to be blind, because it never saw me come out of the house and watch it from the height of the back porch.

Still screeching, it tumbled in the grass, bumped into the garage a couple of times, stumbled around the garage a couple of times, coming back on its trail many times. Is it in pain? Hungry? Looking for its mother?

It finally shut up when it found something to eat near the surface of the soil under the crab apple tree up front. I came out the front porch, and still it never saw me or sensed my presence.

I don't want to feed it and make it depend on humans to survive. I know the authorities dropped rabies cookies in our area. So that is a problem, but not worth calling the wardens, I don't think.

Funny thing is, the cries never woke up my two sleeping cats, even though the sound of it calling out tore at my heart, poor beast.

No comments:

Post a Comment