Friends of the Richelieu. A river. A passion.



"Tout cedit pays est fort uny, remply de forests, vignes & noyers. Aucuns Chrestiens n'estoient encores parvenus jusques en cedit lieu, que nous, qui eusmes assez de peine à monter le riviere à la rame. " Samuel de Champlain


"All this region is very level and full of forests, vines and butternut trees. No Christian has ever visited this land and we had all the misery of the world trying to paddle the river upstream." Samuel de Champlain

Saturday, October 17, 2015

Nice place to visit...


Don't get me wrong: I love living where I live. I love having just enough land to keep me busy gardening outside, and having the roar of the river in the background all the time, and having a fresh breeze to breathe, and be surrounded by tall trees all around me.

But one of the things I love about living where I live, is that I am just a short bus ride away from downtown Montreal. That is where I was able to earn a living for more than 30 years (and how I was able to afford a home by the Richelieu River).

I find the residential areas of Montreal depressing, but I love the downtown part, where the bilingual jobs are, where the arts, and the culture, and the sports events happen, right under the Mountain. When I go there and walk the streets like René Lévesque (Dorchester), Ste-Catherine, de Maisonneuve West, I can feel the buzz, the energy of all these people that surround me that have somewhere to go, someone to meet, an idea to share.


And when I do go visit downtown Montreal, there is this music in my head that I was never able to share with other people, because it seemed that I was the only one to hear it. But lo and behold! Other people can hear it too! And now I am happy to hear it every weeknight now when I watch The Late Show with Stephen Colbert. The musicians are Jon Batiste with Stay Human and they call it Humanism.

No comments:

Post a Comment