Friends of the Richelieu. A river. A passion.



"Tout cedit pays est fort uny, remply de forests, vignes & noyers. Aucuns Chrestiens n'estoient encores parvenus jusques en cedit lieu, que nous, qui eusmes assez de peine à monter le riviere à la rame. " Samuel de Champlain


"All this region is very level and full of forests, vines and butternut trees. No Christian has ever visited this land and we had all the misery of the world trying to paddle the river upstream." Samuel de Champlain

Saturday, March 14, 2015

The man I used to know is gone


The man I used to know just isn't there any more.
The friend that used to listen to me and offer good advice is gone.
The alcoholism that he used to control took control of him
and burned a part of his body and a part of his soul.
So now this person that is left is but a shadow of what he used to be.
He just looks like the man he used to be, but oh! How he looks much older now.
He forgot so many things that we shared. He does not even remember how we used to love each other. How good friends we used to be.
Now, I am but the person that keeps things going, that can help him pretend nothing is wrong. I am the person that prevents what is left of him from completely disappearing forever.
How this task is weighing heavily on my shoulders! How spiteful I feel sometimes! How I hate him for doing this to me, to us, sometimes! And how I hate myself afterwards!

Tonight, he called me to ask me something, then he hung up without saying goodbye.

He took himself from me without even saying goodbye.

And yet he still expects so much of me, and assumes that it will keep on going forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment