Friends of the Richelieu. A river. A passion.



"Tout cedit pays est fort uny, remply de forests, vignes & noyers. Aucuns Chrestiens n'estoient encores parvenus jusques en cedit lieu, que nous, qui eusmes assez de peine à monter le riviere à la rame. " Samuel de Champlain


"All this region is very level and full of forests, vines and butternut trees. No Christian has ever visited this land and we had all the misery of the world trying to paddle the river upstream." Samuel de Champlain

Saturday, October 10, 2015

The deed is done


I cast my vote today. The location for advance voting is within walking distance, and if I had waited for the 19th, I would have had to take the car to a much farther site. So that was a no-brainer (for me).

Yesterday was grey and rainy, but today is sunny and crisp, so it was obvious that today was the best day to do the deed.

I did not have to vote strategically, because in my riding, the Conservatives get barely more votes than the Greens (which is not a lot!)

The walk along the river was wonderful: I almost forget how beautiful it is here. I flushed a Great Blue Heron and a few ducks, and I forced an injured Snow Goose to walk a bit because I was getting to close for comfort (for it). A lot of injured Snow Geese end their last fall days along our river shores because hunting is not allowed within city limits. It's sad to think they are on their last days, but it gives us a chance to be close to wild fowl. The fall colors are starting to make quite a show, and the wild pale lilac-colored Asters are in full bloom where civilisation will allow it to take over.

The voting station is just beside the cemetery, so I stopped for a few seconds to see my father, my aunts, my grand-parents and my mother. I always walk out of that place with a heavy heart, but the sights along the river quickly make me appreciate the fact that I'm still alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment