Friends of the Richelieu. A river. A passion.



"Tout cedit pays est fort uny, remply de forests, vignes & noyers. Aucuns Chrestiens n'estoient encores parvenus jusques en cedit lieu, que nous, qui eusmes assez de peine à monter le riviere à la rame. " Samuel de Champlain


"All this region is very level and full of forests, vines and butternut trees. No Christian has ever visited this land and we had all the misery of the world trying to paddle the river upstream." Samuel de Champlain

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Let the sunshine in!


When I bought this house 36 years ago, it filled one of my most important criteria: it had to have plenty of windows. I love the sun. I need the sun. But there is a downturn to that: windows have to be washed to benefit from all the few rays we get during our long winters.

And living by the river, a house comes with spiders. We need spiders. I know. But they get in the way of having clean windows. So the only logical time for me to wash these windows is now, when the night frost kills the bugs, and the cool days keep the spiders dormant. Otherwise, washing the windows is pointless, unless you are brave enough to do it during the wintertime!

This year has made it even more obvious. The street in front of my house has been in construction from May up to now. Even last Monday, they were sandblasting the fence posts and the next day, they were spray painting them. Since then, every time a breeze comes up, the sand crystals that are covering everything outside were blowing around. And my home being downwind from the dominant winds, i.e. south and west, I got it all generously. But this week, I can't wait any longer. The task has to be done now if I want to bathe in sunshine in my home this winter.

Today, I did the outside on the south-east exposure. I will do the inside another day. Let the sunshine in!

No comments:

Post a Comment