Friends of the Richelieu. A river. A passion.



"Tout cedit pays est fort uny, remply de forests, vignes & noyers. Aucuns Chrestiens n'estoient encores parvenus jusques en cedit lieu, que nous, qui eusmes assez de peine à monter le riviere à la rame. " Samuel de Champlain


"All this region is very level and full of forests, vines and butternut trees. No Christian has ever visited this land and we had all the misery of the world trying to paddle the river upstream." Samuel de Champlain

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Gaz de schiste - ma saga des pancartes continue...

J'ai commencé par planter mes pancartes d'activiste sur mon terrain, dans mon gazon, comme tout le monde.
Mais je me les faisais toujours voler. Alors j'ai ensuite monté mes pancartes sur mes arbres.
Cela fonctionnait à merveille! Plus de vols! Plus de vandalisme! Mais ma municipalité m'a envoyé une mise en demeure, affirmant que je contrevenais au règlement qui dit que je n'ai pas le droit de mettre une enseigne sur un arbre, même le mien! Je dois les enlever, SINON!
Alors cette semaine, j'ai monté mes pancartes sur une corde. Elles pendent dans les airs au-dessus de mon terrain, devant ma maison, ENTRE mes arbres. C'est à suivre...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've been putting up all kinds of signs through the decades: STOP CUTTING TREES!, WE WANT GMO LABELLING!, NO PIG CAFO'S IN RICHELIEU!, and for the past years, it's NO SHALE GAS! A MORATORIUM RIGHT AWAY!. It's my way of expressing my outrage to the injustices of this world.

I used to put my signs on my front lawn, like everybody else. But I soon found out that some people took pleasure in stealing them, in vandalizing them, throwing them in the ditch, in the river. I've been through hundreds of signs, most of them home made, with stuff I had around the house.

I kept replacing the stolen ones, trying all kinds of ways to discourage the vandalists. But only one thing really worked: tying them to my trees, on my property, high enough so that it would take a stepladder to get to them.

But there's a problem to this solution: my town has a bylaw saying putting up signs on trees is illegal. I've tried to ignore them, but after 2 nasty letters, I've had to improvize.

My signs are now hanging from a string, BETWEEN my trees, in front of my house. They're REALLY in your face, now. I'm sure somebody, somewhere, will find a way to say that THAT is illegal too!

We'll just have to wait and see...

No comments:

Post a Comment